RATIONALE FOR ADVENTURE
This adventure will introduce Bear Scouts to swimming safety, boating safety, physical development and fitness, skill development, and fun in the water. Bears in nature like to swim and play in the water, and so can Bear Scouts.
TAKEAWAYS FOR CUB SCOUTS
- Learning confidence, knowledge, and skills in and around bodies of water
- Gaining knowledge and skills in boating safety
- A Scout is obedient, brave. [Bear Character Compass]
ADVENTURE REQUIREMENTS (Bear Handbook, page 250)
- Explain the safety rules that you need to follow before participating in boating.
- Identify the equipment needed when going boating.
- Demonstrate correct rowing or paddling form. Explain how rowing and canoeing are good exercise.
- Explain the importance of response personnel or lifeguards in a swimming area.
- Show how to do both a reach rescue and a throw rescue.
- Visit a local pool or swimming area with your den or family, and go swimming.
- Demonstrate the front crawl swim stroke to your den or family.
- Name the three swimming ability groups for the Boy Scouts of America.
- Attempt the BSA beginner swim classification.