RATIONALE FOR ADVENTURE
Coins are more than just money. In this adventure, Wolves will learn how to spot the various markings on a coin and identify the meanings. Through games and experiments, they will learn how to determine the value of a coin.
TAKEAWAYS FOR CUB SCOUTS
• Following directions
• Practicing mathematical skills
• Learning how to estimate weight
• A Scout is trustworthy. [Wolf Character Compass]
ADVENTURE REQUIREMENTS (Wolf Handbook, page 124)
- Identify different parts of a coin.
- Find the mint mark on a coin; identify what mint facility it was made in and what year it was made.
- Play a coin game.
- Choose a coin that interests you, and make a coin rubbing. List information next to the coin detailing the pictures on it, the year it was made, and the mint where it was made.
- Play a game or create a game board with your den or family where you can practice adding and subtracting coins.
- Create a balance scale.
- Do a coin-weight investigation.